Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Murphy Update #1

As this is still ongoing I am not sure how many updates there will be…

At our vet visit Monday afternoon and noticing that is eye had gotten significantly worse over the weekend our vet suggested we see an ophthalmologist. I honestly had no idea there were specialty vets. I thought they were jack of all trades. I have since found out there are specialist, just like human doctors. Our vet called a few ophthalmologist and apparently it is a pretty great business to be in. Some of their schedules were so packed we couldn’t get in for a week or two. One of them agreed to see us in between appointments that same day. We headed down to the ophthalmologist and ended up waiting quite a while to be seen.

After an examination they determined his eye did not appear to be damaged, but without an ultrasound there was really no way to determine what was going on. The possibilities were something behind the eye, some kind of inflammation under the eye, or cancer, specifically lymphoma. We were told cancer would be rare in such a young dog, but lymphoma has been known to occur at any age. To be safe we were urged to schedule an ultrasound at the Tampa office the following day (today).

I dropped Murphy off this morning at the Tampa office for his ultrasound and got the call to pick him up when they were done around 3. We are now awaiting the results from pathology, but a foreign object behind his eye has been ruled out. They noticed a redness in his mouth and something on the X-ray that may show an infection from a tooth, but we won’t know anything until the results are in. Cancer is still in the cards and I am terrified. Treatment is chemo and possible removal of the eye. I try not to think about it and am praying that is not the outcome. We should be hearing by tomorrow at the latest, keep Murphy in your thoughts and prayers.

5 comments:

  1. I hope everything is okay :( We had to have surgery on all THREE of our dogs at various times so I know how hard the expense is and how emotionally draining it can be. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m so sorry to hear this about Murphy! I hope that he feels better and that you hear good news tomorrow. I've dealt with health issues with a fur baby and it's so scary! Prayer for your fam & Murphy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh gosh, that is so scary. It is so hard to watch them in pain and not to be able to do anything about it. Thank God Tequila has been pretty healthy so far. Hopefully it is something minor and he will be fine soon. I'm here for you if you want to talk or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about Murphy's eye. :( I hope the ultrasound results rule out anything serious. My dog had to have surgery last year and it was incredibly scary, so I can imagine how you're feeling right now. Just know that the specialist will take good care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little guy. Is he in pain? Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete