Monday, January 17, 2011

DIY: Favors Part 1

With under 3 months to go it is time to start beginning all the little detail DIY projects. Way back in the beginning of this little blog I wrote about what our favors would be. I did a trial run back in November to see how long I could freeze them for and so far so good. So Sunday afternoon I decided to begin making our favors.
I began with my 4 molds I bought online and the lollipop sticks I picked up at Michaels.

Earlier in the day we stopped by Publix and picked up 2 large bags of chocolate chips and some Crisco…. Kahlua optional. I use Crisco every time I melt chocolate to make it more liquid. It makes it much easier for dipping things such as strawberries or cake balls and also easier to pour.

Then I had H take some pictures and things got weird.
DSC01080
Let’s just say this was one of the more normal angles. Evidently photographing this process required him to climb onto the countertop.

Then I fired H as photographer and took over myself.

After squeezing chocolate into the molds it looks like this:

Until you bang it on the counter and shake it around a little to get this:

Hunting for a place to put these was not easy. The freezer was packed so I had to settle for the fridge.

A finished little Florida Gator. His mouth is open because he is saying “I love Tebow!”

Those 2 bags of chocolate made about 50 favors, and remember I need at least 200. So for next time I have learned to buy my chocolate at Sam’s Club and pay more attention to the how long I melt the chocolate in the microwave (I burned a few batches putting it in for a few minutes and forgetting about it) About half way through the process I scrapped the squeeze bottle and just used a measuring cup to pour the chocolate into the molds. If you are considering making an edible favor give chocolate molding/making(?) a chance. There are many different molds you can buy from Amazon and they are quite easy and inexpensive to make.

1 comment: