Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sushi and S’mores: Valentine’s Day 2011

We attempted and successfully (after a few tries) created our own sushi last night. We stuck to California rolls to make sure we could get the hang of it. I was really worried about how the rice would turn out according to The Pioneer Woman you must have a rice cooker and we don’t. I made it on the stove top and I think it turned out fine. We followed this recipe. Brought two cups uncooked rice and two cups of water to a boil. Turned down to low and simmered covered for 20 minutes. H’s job was to make the sushi su. We cut Pioneer Woman’s recipe in half and I think it was the perfect amount. We then loosely followed her California Roll recipe and dined on some delicious, but not necessarily pretty sushi.
IMAG0289IMAG0290
Gathering our ingredients.
IMAG0292
Holy crap that was some sticky rice!
IMAG0295
First roll – my knife sucks!
IMAG0297
H taking over the rice spreading part. I ended up a sticky mess on my first try.
IMAG0298
Perfecting my rolling skillz
IMAG0300
Now I’ve got the hang of it.
IMAG0302
Guess which one I made and which one H made?
After dinner we started a fire in the fire pit outside to make some s’mores. yummm.
IMAG0305IMAG0306IMAG0312
After s’mores we watched some TV and called it a night. It was a nice little Valentine’s Day for us, and we didn’t spend a fortune. Off to do some yoga hopefully to burn some of those s’mores calories.

2 comments:

  1. That sushi looks delicious! I've been wanting to try making it for a long time now, our plan is to invite a few couple friends over and have a dinner party making sushi. I predict my sushi will fall apart! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun you should definitely try it. I purchase a bamboo mat and paddle off Amazon, you will need those things and then just follow the instructions on the rice and add your fillings. It is actually pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete