Friday, June 3, 2011

Lamp Redo

Let me tell you about one of my favorite things, oil rubbed bronze spray paint.  I came across it right after we moved into our house and I was looking for a way to inexpensively update some fixtures. I have used it a few times now with great results. And have some big projects in store for that stuff! During our moving process I went through my dad’s rental unit where he hoards furniture, fixtures, pretty much anything and everything. He had some old brass lamps from my grandparents house in there so I grabbed them and immediately knew what I would do with them.

{one of two brass lamps}

This week I finally cleared enough space in the garage to work on some other projects (besides those never ending kitchen cabinets) and got to work on one of the lamps. At Lowe’s I picked up some liquid sander and applied it as the directions said.



The deglosser was very easy to apply, but the lamp didn’t seem to look any different after I applied it. Oh well I figured we wouldn’t be handling the lamp all that often. Hopefully the paint will stick.

The deglosser wants you to wait 30 minutes to 2 hours before painting. I just called it a night and primed the next day. A while back I picked up some Krylon primer and oil rubbed bronze spray paint (Walmart has the best prices). I fetched a few cans from my stash and began to spray.



The primer dried in 10 minutes and I began with the oil rubbed bronze.



That night I picked up a new lampshade at HomeGoods and tada a brand new lamp. I still have one more of these brass lamps, but we only have one side table in our living room. The other one might get the ORB treatment or it might end up a fun color!



Lamps: free
Liquid Deglosser: $6
Spray Paint: already owned
Lamp Shade: $15
Total Cost: $21 (plus now I have extra deglosser for all my other projects)

PS If you like those super cute coasters I ordered them from ShabbyChicCoasters on Etsy. I saw that she had some Tennessee ones so I sent her a message to see if she could make some Gator ones and she got back to me right away with a design.

5 comments:

  1. Such a great idea. I have an aunt with a whole bunch of brass lamps. I might have to take them off her hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG came out great! Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOOOOOOOOVE! ::note to self, try out oil rubbed bronze spray paint::

    ReplyDelete