Monday, November 21, 2011

Patio Party

We can have one now! On Saturday I convinced Hagin to take a trip to Ace so we could price out pavers. I saw this image on pinterest and figured it would be easy enough for us to do something like it. That way we wouldn’t have to worry about it being completely level.

 

We checked out the 16”X16'” pavers at Ace and Lowes. Ace had the best price so we purchased 40 of them. After two trips to Ace to bring all the pavers home we got to work.

A before shot of our “backyard”

townhouse backyard

Supplies. Check. 40 pavers, 10 bags of soil, shovel.

16x16 pavers      soil

Dirty dog. Check.

dirty murphy

We dug up the grass and used the soil to level out our sloping “backyard.” Once it was levelish and compacted we began laying the stones 1.5 inches apart. 8 stones wide and 5 deep.

laying pavers

We called it a day once the stones were down.

paver with grass

On Sunday we made another quick trip to Ace for more soil to begin filling in the cracks. Hagin dumped and I swept the soil into all the open cracks. I sprayed it all down with water and let it dry. A few hours later I filled any holes that had appeared using the same method. Then we sprinkled grass seed down and hosed it down one more time.

We are obviously no experts, nor did we even research what we were doing. But I think it turned out great for our needs. Now we have somewhere for our fire pit and I have an excuse to get a cute bistro set.

pavers with grass

Total project breakdown:

40 – 16”x16” pavers @ $2.99 each

13 – bags of soil @ $1 each

1 – shovel @ 10.59

1 – bag of grass seed @ $4.99

$150 and 4 hours of labor

3 comments:

  1. Wow -- what a difference such a little change can make! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww it looks great and I bet you will use it alot more than you think!!

    ReplyDelete