Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oil Rubbed Bronze Door Knobs

I am almost embarrassed to share this post, because it has been, ohh, 8 months in the making! This is such a simple and easy way to update your house, but I have dragged it out as long as possible.
As soon as we purchased our house I knew the brass fixtures had to go. I mean it was only built 4 years ago who thought brass door knobs were a good idea then? As soon as I discovered the amazingness of oil rubbed bronze spray paint (and subsequently raided every store in the area) I knew how I could update them for cheap.

I started with just one, before I had seen any one else blog about it, just to see how it would hold up. It held up great for months minus the initial scratch we put on it trying to get it back on the door. 8 months later and that first door knob is still going strong. Slowly I began to tackle the others. Eventually I completed all the the downstairs knobs, and just last weekend I finished all the upstairs ones.

The culprits and my supplies.
DSC_0066
First I roughed them up with steel wool (who knew there would be a real world use for this stuff outside of chemistry class). Then brushed them off to get all the steel wool remnants off. For painting I used a box to hold them upright on. Gave them a light coat of Krylon primer, waited 10 minutes, another light coat of primer, waited another 10 minutes, a light coat of Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint, waited another 10 minutes, and another light coat of paint. Two coats usually did the trick, but occasionally I had to do some extra touch ups around the base.

The finished product.
Oil rubbed bronze door knobs

We did not paint these little do dads, too much hassle to take them off the doors.

Oild rubbed bronze door knobs

Nor did we paint the hinges. Who wants to be bothered with taking doors down, not me! It's not really that noticeable in the house. If I was planing on repainting the doors then I would have gone all the way. If we ever need to repaint the doors I will either switch out the hinges or paint them, but for now they stay.

ORB door knobs

Who does that dog think he is? He photobombs every picture! Maybe he thought mom was going into the closet to feed him.

So what do you think? Are you addicted to spray paint like I am?

4 comments:

  1. Those look great! I personally prefer the new look to the brass ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the door knobs look great! So nice to see not a lot of work for a cute and noticeable change.

    ReplyDelete