Friday, November 30, 2012

My First Project–The Small Bathroom

First, let me start off this post by saying how hard it is to photograph such a small bathroom. Honestly this is one of the smallest bathrooms on the planet. It’s about the size of your regular powder bath, but somehow they squeezed a shower in it. Around here it is typical to see houses built in the 60s and 70s to have garage bathrooms. We are convinced that at one point this was a garage bathroom, because it is all by itself on the other side of the house next to the garage. Both the bedrooms are on one side of the house and share a bathroom and this one is lonely on the other side and hardly ever gets used. I started with this room because I knew exactly what I was going to do with it. In true 70s fashion it has tile about 3/4 of the way up the wall, but luckily it is white tile. The vanity and toilet are almond color, but I just pretend they are white. Not owning the house we have to make due with a lot, but I want to spruce it up as nice as I can without spending much.

My dadlord (as he shall be known from here on out) had the entire house painted this lovely dingy white and when we thought we would only be here for a few months I could handle it, but now that we are pushing our 4th month in this house and no sign of moving we knew the changes had to begin. Below is the before, white on almond on dingy white.

Guest Bath Before

The painting was hanging in our old half bath and I just threw it up on the walls in here when we moved in. I couldn’t keep the white carpet clean since it was where Finn’s bowls where and it was just a little too much white. One day when I was perusing my favorite store (HomeGoods) I found a lime green rug that tied in my picture perfectly and then the wall clicked. If you remember I am a huge fan of rich, dramatic colors in bathrooms. I think they add so much interest to a small space that can otherwise be plain and boring. If you want to incorporate some bold colors the bathroom is definitely the place to do it. While I loved the turquoise color in the last house, I had left the remainder of that paint with the house and I was ready for something just a bit different. Once I decided on the color I was in love.

Guest Bath After
A deep, rich navy was the perfect contrast to all of the white (or almost white) in the room. The dog bowls were relocated to the hallway, so our guests no longer have to worry about tripping over dog bowls. I knocked out painting this one afternoon and tested how long it would be before Hagin noticed. He came home from work, went into the bathroom to fill up the dog’s water, but did not notice at all. Once I finally pointed it out, he agreed the color looked great in the room.

Now if only I could get that shower door clean, actually I haven’t tried much. I bet if I bought some Mr. Clean the soap scum would come right off.

One room down seven to go.

1 comment: