Friday, May 27, 2011

My Herb Garden

My last semester of college I took a gardening class and ever since then I have been really interested in plants, gardening, flowers, etc. Our teacher used to give us plants in class so for a few months I grew colias, until the frigid Florida winter killed it off. With us finally settling down in our house and always buying fresh herbs at the produce stand. I thought it would be great time to start my container herb garden. Lowes had plants on sale so I figured rather than start from seed I would just buy a ready to go plant and see how I do. I’m starting with basil and plan to add cilantro, rosemary, and  maybe some dill. But 3 days into my herb growing project I see my basil looking a little sad:

IMAG0477_edit0

The leaves are usually a little droopy like that, but are looking wilty as well. So I gave him some more water and it seems to have helped. All the websites I have read say they like full sun and to dry out between waterings, but when I put him out in the full Florida sun I think we gets a little too dried out. I have moved him to a few different locations to see which one he responds to best.

Once September rolls around I hope to plant some tomatoes and pepper in a large container along side all my smaller herbs. Do any of you have herb gardens and have any tips for me?

1 comment:

  1. Planting things in FL sun is soo hard because the sun is sooo hot. I tried an intense herb garden from seed last summer and they sprouted quick but then the sun would just wilt them and dry them out, then I was over-watering because they were so dry..so it was not a good combination..they were so thirsty and then I was drowning them! I have heard that planting in FL winter is sometimes better because its not as hot. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete